Homemade and Delicious!
30 min. (+ freeze time)
Another one of the 2020 Year of the Cranberry Recipe Challenge entries and it’s perfect to keep you cool in the summer or scooped over warm apple crisp in the fall. The cranberry swirl is not only tasty but beautiful too. This recipe is by Tristin of Fresh Flavorful Blog.
Whether you have an ice cream maker or not, you can make this recipe! See instructions for various ways to make this homemade treat.
1/2 Cup Orange Juice
2 Cups Frozen Cranberries
1 Tbsp. Orange Zest
1 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
4 Large Egg Yolks
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
3/4 Tsp. Salt
Ice Cream Maker Version:
1. Place ice cream maker in the freezer.
2. Combine cranberries, 1 cup of sugar and orange juice in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Stirring frequently and squishing with the back of a spoon and simmer until most cranberries pop, about 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. When cool to the touch, puree in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour cranberry orange puree into the same medium airtight container you will later store the churned ice cream in and refrigerate to chill until ready to use.
4. Meanwhile, make the custard base. Whisk egg yolk and remaining 3/4 cups sugar in a large saucepan until well combines and ribbony. Then add milk, cream and salt and whisk just to combine.
5. Place over medium heat and whisking frequently cook until mixture reaches 170 degrees F.
6. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and add orange zest to steep while the custard cools. Pour into large bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely cool, at least 4-5 hours but ideally overnight.
7. When ready to churn, strain to remove orange zest and stir in 1.2 cup of cranberry puree. Churn according to manufacturer’s instructions, typically for about 20 minutes churning on low in a completely frozen ice cream bowl.
8. Slowly pour cranberry puree in during the last few minutes of churning to create contrasting ribbons of color. Ice cream is done when a spoon drug through top leaves a lasting impression.
9. Do not ring any remaining cranberry puree from freezer container, instead pour churned ice cream directly over to create even more cranberry swirls. Place parchment paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface and freeze until hardened, at least 4-5 hours. Best consumed within 2 day but will freeze for up to a month.
If you do not have an ice cream maker:
– No churn versions fold whipped cream into a custard base then freeze.
– Hand churn ice cream by stirring the freezing custard at even intervals until set. If hand churning try mixing in the fresh fruit puree at different times for ribbons of contrasting flavor and texture.
-Make single servings using a frozen ice cream tray.
Sign up for our email newsletter to receive mealtime inspiration, special savings,
Cape Cod updates and more!